Coty is helping to revolutionise the colour consultation experience with the unveiling of a Wella Professionals Smart Mirror at CES 2019, a consumer technology event held in Las Vegas on 7 January. The augmented reality (AR) mirror was co-created with Wella Professionals hair stylists and salon owners to personalise the consultation experience, based on research to identify the biggest opportunities for innovation in the salon.
Key features of the Wella Professionals Smart Mirror
- Live AR hair colour try-on, allowing real-time visualisation of colour in the mirror with a salon client
- Facial recognition technology that means you can retrieve past looks and services from previous visits
- Curated feed of content that allows the client to browse the latest looks and trends for inspiration
- 360° video capture of the hair at every angle, allowing for a better appreciation of the result without the use of a mirror and easy social media sharing of the completed look
- Connected mobile application, meaning you can keep in touch with your clients in between visits. Clients can access the platform from anywhere to ask for product recommendations, personalised care and styling tips, and to schedule a future appointment
- Touchless technology, which responds to swipe hand gestures
Laura Simpson, Coty Professional Beauty Chief Marketing Officer, said that the new technology allows hair professionals “to take their consultation with their clients to the next level… with this new tool we are enabling [stylists] to build stronger consultations and relationships with their clients, which is critical in our industry.”
Elodie Levy, Senior Director Digital Innovation at Coty, added: “This breakthrough ecosystem empowers stylists and addresses many of the pain points associated with the salon hair color category. Clients fear getting an unexpected color result and the use of augmented reality for trying on hair color shades in the salon is a game changer to address this
Coty is yet to announce roll out dates for the new technology.